The Inspiration

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

#2: Write a letter to yourself in the future


Dear Future Self,

I am writing to you from the Danish daybed in your apartment on Duane Street. I hope that when you read this, you'll still have this piece of furniture. I also hope, for the love of god, that you finally reupholstered it.

It has now been 3 months since I was laid off from LA Weekly. The time off has been amazing, but I'm experiencing more anxiety with each day that passes and no solid job leads.

Anyway, I'm hoping that your gainfully-employed, successful, joyful self will recall this time period as magical. I'm doing my best not to squander the Summer with useless worry. In fact, I'm having a blast. Here are some highlights:

-Cuba
-Maine
-Kayaking to Mill River in Maine, seeing the seals and surviving a difficult pull with a bee sting.
-Cooking dinner in Maine: the yummy gazpacho, the crazy grilled cheese sandwiches, herb butter fish in red leaf lettuce, Tom's mushroom and sausage risotto
-Spending afternoons with Jojo - he's so damn cute when he sleeps
-Walks around the reservoir
-Riding the Vespa
-Waking up late and getting coffee at Lamill or Downbeat...reading the paper
-Making healthy lunches
-Drinking beverages with colorful straws from Ikea
-Spending weekdays with Justine
-Beating Josh and Liz in Trivia on their home turf
-Evenings spent with Tom...making dinner and watching old episodes of Lost on the laptop
-Falling more in love with Tom every day
-Scrabulous!
-Zuma with Zuri & Catharine
-Bahooka with with Zuri, Catharine, Karin and Tom
-Paradise Cove with Justine
-Reading Regeneration, Jesus Land, The Road, Early Bird, Finding Manana and Catcher in the Rye
-Naps

I do miss working and being a productive member of society. I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up. Have you figured it out yet? Every day is a bit of a challenge, but I am optimistic. I'm especially optimistic about the fact that, from where you stand, you know there was no need to fret at all. Everything works out. I'm capable, smart, creative and make worthy contributions to my places of employment. I'm going to find a fantastic job. A better job that I can possibly imagine.

Alright. Hope you're having a nice day. I'm going to make some lunch and check a few items off my to-do list.

Ciao bella.

-Moi

1 comment:

Liz said...

I love this. Can I have Tom's mushroom and sausage risotto recipe?